Thursday, January 29, 2009

Snow Cream

A few weeks ago the Winter Wonderland Fairy bestowed upon us a gorgeous pristine layer of snow - which also allowed me to stop complaining about dreary, dreadful, horrible winter for about 3 days. Having lived most of my life along I-10 (from Florida to Arizona and back again) I can count on one hand how many times I've witnessed snowfall. It immediately changes everything, and I declared the day a holiday. That, of course, means all rules go out the snowy window in exchange for a new, more fun set of holiday rules.
Rule #1: Eat snow cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
That's it. There are no other rules.
It was yummy. :)

I didn't use an actual recipe, but at my mom's suggestion mixed sugar and vanilla into evaporated milk until it dissolved, then stirred in the snow. (Condensed milk is good too.) I saved a bowl of snow in my freezer for a week, trying to savor it as long as possible. But it fell out the other day and dumped snow in my kitchen floor...boo.

Goodbye snow cream! See you next year!

1 comment:

erin, maker of chimes said...

Ah, snow cream! My grannie always made it for us when we were growing up...but not out of the first snow b/c it was "dirty" or so she always told us. We used just regular milk, vanilla, and sugar.... yum! In fact, I had some myself tonight... my little ice shaver works wonders for recreating snow since we rarely get any here in eastern NC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...